Ads Here

Friday, February 23, 2024

Frozen shoulder and Physiotherapy management


Written by Md. Kamruzzaman
Medical Technologist | Diploma in Physiotherapy


On This Page

  1. What is a frozen shoulder?

  2. What I see in the clinic

  3. What causes frozen shoulder?

  4. Symptoms and stages

  5. How is it diagnosed?

  6. Physiotherapy management—what I actually do

  7. Home exercises for frozen shoulder

  8. Sleeping with a frozen shoulder

  9. Electrical therapy

  10. Medication

  11. When to see a doctor or physiotherapist

  12. Frequently asked questions

  13. Final thoughts


1. What Is a Frozen Shoulder?
Frozen Shoulder image

The first time I saw a frozen shoulder, I was confused. The patient—a 52-year-old woman—could lift her arm halfway, but not further. When I tried to move it for her, it was like hitting a wall. She told me she couldn't reach for a seatbelt, couldn't put on a jacket, and couldn't sleep on that side.

That's the frustrating thing about frozen shoulder: it doesn't just hurt; it takes away your independence.

Frozen shoulder, also known as adhesive capsulitis, is defined as a painful restriction of both active and passive movement of the shoulder joint.

What I tell my patients: The good news is that most people recover fully—but it takes time and patience.


2. What I See in the Clinic

In my clinic, frozen shoulder patients usually fall into three groups:

1. People with diabetes—This is the biggest group. Between 10% and 20% of people with diabetes develop frozen shoulder.

2. People who had a shoulder injury or surgery—The shoulder becomes stiff during recovery, and that stiffness can turn into a frozen shoulder.

3. People over 40 with no clear cause—The shoulder gradually stiffens over months, and they can't figure out why.

What I tell my patients: If you're in any of these groups and you notice your shoulder getting stiff, don't wait. Early treatment makes a huge difference.


3. What Causes Frozen Shoulder?

A frozen shoulder doesn't always have a clear cause. But in my clinic, I see it most often in these groups:

1. Age—Most of my patients are between 40 and 60 years old. It's rare in younger people.

2. Sex—Women are more affected than men. I see this pattern clearly in my practice.

3. Previous shoulder injury—If you've had a shoulder injury or surgery, you're at higher risk.

4. Diabetes—This is the biggest risk factor I see. Between 10% and 20% of people with diabetes develop frozen shoulder.

5. Other health conditions—Stroke, Parkinson's disease, and heart disease are also associated with frozen shoulder.

What I tell my patients: If you have any of these risk factors and you notice your shoulder getting stiff, don't wait. Early treatment makes a huge difference.


4. Symptoms and Stages

A frozen shoulder has three stages. Understanding these stages is important because the treatment is different for each one.

Stage I—The Freezing Stage

  • Pain is the main problem, especially at night
  • Pain is usually felt above the elbow, but it can radiate down the arm
  • You can still sleep on the affected side (but it's uncomfortable)
  • Shoulder movement starts to become restricted
  • This stage can last 2–9 months

Stage II—The Frozen Stage

  • Pain becomes constant
  • Pain radiates below the elbow
  • You can't sleep on the affected side
  • Shoulder movement is significantly restricted
  • This stage can last 4–12 months

Stage III—The Thawing Stage

  • Pain starts to improve
  • The main problem is stiffness and restricted movement
  • Shoulder movement gradually returns
  • This stage can last 5–24 months

What I tell my patients: Frozen shoulder is self-limiting. It will eventually get better on its own. But without proper treatment, it can take 1–3 years. The goal of physiotherapy is to shorten that timeline and reduce pain along the way.


5. How Is It Diagnosed?

Physical Exam

A healthcare provider might ask you to move your arm in certain ways. This checks for pain and how far you can move your arm (active range of motion). Then you might be asked to relax your muscles while the provider moves your arm (passive range of motion).

A frozen shoulder affects both active and passive ranges of motion. That's one of the key signs.

Imaging Tests

A frozen shoulder can usually be diagnosed from signs and symptoms alone. But imaging tests—such as X-rays or MRIs—can help rule out other problems.


6. Physiotherapy Management — What I Actually Do

The physiotherapy approach depends on which stage you're in.

Stage I (The Freezing Stage)

The goal is pain relief, not aggressive stretching. I tell my patients: don't force it.

We work on gentle, pain-free range of motion. I use heat therapy (or sometimes cold therapy) to reduce pain. I teach patients how to move their shoulder within a comfortable range—not pushing into pain.

Stretching into pain during this stage makes things worse, not better.

Stage II (The Frozen Stage)

The goal shifts to maintaining and improving range of motion. This is where I introduce more specific stretches.

I use passive mobilization—that means I gently move the shoulder joint for you, within your comfort level. I also introduce strengthening exercises: isometric (pressing without moving) first, then isotonic (movement with resistance) as you improve.

Stage III (The Thawing Stage)

The goal is full recovery of movement and strength. This is where we push a little harder. We work on end-range stretching, functional movements, and progressive strengthening.

What I tell my patients: This is the stage where you can finally see progress, but don't rush it. Recovery still takes time. Frozen shoulder is a marathon, not a sprint. Rushing it makes it worse.

What a Physiotherapy Program May Include

  • Pain-free range of motion (Stage I)
  • Maximum available range (Stage II)
  • Superficial or deep heating agents to control pain
  • Stretching exercises for the capsule
  • Passive mobilization of the shoulder joint
  • Strengthening exercises: isometric, isotonic


7. Home Exercises for Frozen Shoulder—What I Teach My Patients

These are the exercises I teach most often. But remember: your specific exercises should be tailored to your stage and symptoms by a therapist who has assessed you.

1. Pendulum Stretch

  • Stand with your shoulders relaxed and your arms by your sides
  • Lean forward slightly, letting your affected arm hang down
  • Use your good hand to support yourself on a table
  • Gently swing your hanging arm in a small circle (about 1 foot in diameter)
  • Do 10 circles in each direction
  • As you improve, increase the circle size

You can add a lightweight (3–5 lbs) as your symptoms improve.

2. Wall Climbing Exercise

  • Stand facing a wall, close enough to touch it
  • Keep your shoulder down (don't shrug toward your ear)
  • Walk your fingers up the wall as high as pain permits
  • Hold for 15–30 seconds
  • Slowly walk your fingers back down
  • Repeat 5–10 times

3. Cross-Body Reach

  • Use your good arm to support your affected arm at the elbow
  • Gently lift your affected arm across your chest
  • Hold for 15–20 seconds
  • Repeat 10–20 times per day

4. Towel Stretch

  • Hold a 3-foot towel behind your back, one end in each hand
  • Your affected arm holds the bottom end
  • Use your good arm to gently pull the towel upward
  • Hold for 10 seconds
  • Do 5 times, twice a day

5. Outward Rotation with Band

  • Stand with your elbows bent at 90 degrees, upper arms against your sides
  • Hold each end of a rubber exercise band
  • Keep your good arm still
  • Gently pull your affected arm outward, about 2–3 inches
  • Hold for 5 seconds
  • Repeat 10–15 times daily

6. Inward Rotation with Band

  • Stand next to a closed door
  • Loop the band around the doorknob
  • Hold the other end in your affected hand
  • With your elbow at 90 degrees, pull the band toward your body
  • Hold for 5 seconds
  • Repeat 10–15 times daily

7. Pulley Exercise

  • Sit or stand with a pulley system (or a rope over a door)
  • Hold one end in each hand
  • Use your good arm to gently raise your affected arm
  • Keep your elbow straight
  • Hold for about 10 seconds
  • Repeat 10 times

What I tell my patients: Consistency matters more than intensity. Doing these exercises gently every day is better than pushing hard once a week. If an exercise causes sharp pain, stop. If it causes a dull ache that goes away, that's normal.


8. Sleeping with a Frozen Shoulder — What I Recommend

One of the biggest complaints I hear is: "I can't sleep." Frozen shoulder pain is often worse at night, especially in Stages I and II.

Here's what I tell my patients:

  • Sleep on your unaffected side. This takes pressure off the affected shoulder.
  • Use a pillow between your arms. This keeps your shoulders aligned and prevents you from curling inward.
  • Use a pillow in your armpit. Hug it to prevent your shoulder from rolling forward.
  • Use proper head and neck support. Your pillow should keep your head and neck in line with your spine.
  • If you sleep on your back, keep your arms by your sides with your palms facing up or down. This puts the least pressure on your shoulder.

What I tell my patients: Sleep position matters more than you think. Getting a good night's sleep is part of recovery.


9. Electrical Therapy for Frozen Shoulder

In my clinic, I use a few different modalities to help with pain and healing:

Ultrasound Therapy (UST)—Uses sound waves to generate deep heat in the tissues. It can help relax muscles and improve blood flow. Typical treatment: 0.75–3 MHz frequency, 5–10 minutes, once a day.

Hot or Cold Therapy—Heat helps increase blood flow and relax muscles. Cold helps reduce inflammation and numb pain. I use both, depending on the stage and symptoms.

TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)—Can help with pain relief. It's not a cure, but it can make physiotherapy more comfortable.

What I tell my patients: These therapies are tools, not solutions. They help with pain and prepare the shoulder for exercise. But the real recovery comes from movement and strengthening.


10. Medication for Frozen Shoulder

Medication can help manage pain, but it's not a cure. Here's what I tell my patients:

Over-the-counter pain relief — Paracetamol or ibuprofen can help with mild pain. Always ask a pharmacist before taking new medication, especially if you have other health conditions.

Prescription pain relief — For severer pain, your doctor may prescribe something stronger.

Steroid injections — If pain is severe and conservative treatment isn't working, a steroid injection can reduce inflammation and pain. In my experience, this works well for some patients, especially in Stage I. But it's not a permanent fix. It buys you time to do the physiotherapy work.

What I tell my patients: Medication helps you move, but movement is what heals. Don't rely on medication alone.


11. When to See a Doctor or Physiotherapist

See a professional if:

  • You have shoulder pain that doesn't improve with rest
  • You can't move your shoulder in one or more directions
  • You can't sleep because of shoulder pain
  • You have diabetes and shoulder pain
  • Your shoulder pain is getting worse, not better
  • You've had a shoulder injury and the stiffness is getting worse

What I tell my patients: The earlier you start treatment, the easier it is. Don't wait months hoping it will pass. Frozen shoulder is much easier to treat in the early stages.


12. Frequently Asked Questions

How long does a frozen shoulder last?
It varies. Without treatment, it can take 1–3 years. With physiotherapy, most people recover in 6–18 months. The key is starting treatment early.

Can a frozen shoulder heal on its own?
Yes, eventually. But it can take years, and the stiffness may never fully go away without treatment. Physiotherapy shortens the timeline and improves outcomes.

Should I exercise through the pain?
No. In Stage I, forcing movement makes it worse. In Stages II and III, you can push a little more, but never into sharp pain. Always work within a comfortable range.

Is surgery ever needed?
Rarely. In my experience, most people recover with physiotherapy. Surgery is considered only when conservative treatment fails.

Can I prevent a frozen shoulder?
Not always. But if you have risk factors (diabetes, previous injury), keeping your shoulder moving and seeking early treatment for shoulder pain can help.


13. Final Thoughts

Frozen shoulder is one of the most frustrating conditions I treat. It's painful, it lasts a long time, and it takes away your ability to do simple things.

But I want you to know: with the right treatment and patience, most people recover fully.

The key is to start early, work with a physiotherapist, and stick with your home exercises. Don't rush it. Frozen shoulder is a marathon, not a sprint.

And if you ever feel like you're not making progress, remember: the shoulder always thaws eventually. You just have to help it along.


Medical Disclaimer: This article is based on my experience as a medical technologist in physiotherapy and is for general educational purposes only. It does not replace an individual medical assessment, diagnosis, or treatment plan from a qualified healthcare professional. If you have persistent shoulder pain, stiffness, or difficulty moving your arm, consult a qualified healthcare professional.


About the Author:
Md. Kamruzzaman is a Medical Technologist with a Diploma in Physiotherapy. Through Active Life Therapy, he shares educational information about physiotherapy, physical health, mobility, common musculoskeletal conditions, and healthy living.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I read every comment personally. For individual medical advice, please consult a qualified professional in person.